Get to know JHSM. Here's what we do, and why we'd love to have you along for the ride.
Learn more about Alpena's Temple Beth-El. With special thanks to Phyllis and Stephen Strome for their generous support of this project!
Were you unable to attend our wildly popular bicycle tour of Jewish Detroit? Our route below gives you a taste of what you missed. This map is made possible by a grant from MotorCities National Heritage Area. We appreciate their support!
• American Jewish History, Journal of the American Jewish Historical Society. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore.
• Applebaum, Phillip. The Wetsmans: Odyssey of an American Family. William Morse Davidson, 1994. Online access: https://links.cjh.org/primo/
• Berman, Lila Corwin. Metropolitan Jews: Politics, Race, and Religion in Postwar Detroit. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2015.
• Bolkosky, Sidney. Harmony and Dissonance, Voices of Jewish Identity in Detroit, 1914-1967. Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 1991.
• Cantor, Judith Levin. Jews in Michigan. (Discovering the Peoples of Michigan). East Lansing: Michigan State University Press, 2001.
• Cohen, Irwin. Jewish Detroit: A Pictorial History. Arcadia Press, 2002.
• Demetriou, Karen Kritz, & Fran Rubin Weinstein. Temple B’nai Israel, 100 Years: Saginaw, Michigan, 1890-1990. Saginaw: Golden Jubilee, 1942.
• Devlin, Dennis S. Muskegon’s Jewish Community: A Centennial History, 1888-1988. Muskegon: Dana Corp., 1988.
• Edgar, Dr. Irving I. A History of Early Jewish Physicians in the State of Michigan. New York: Philosophical Library, 1982.
• Friedlander, Alex. From Suwalki to St. Ignace: A History of the Rosenthal, Reinhertz, Blumrosen, Winkelman, and Related Families. Brooklyn, NY: Breakaway Productions, 2003. Online access: https://links.cjh.org/primo/
• Grad, Eli, and Bette Roth. Congregation Shaarey Zedek, 5622-5742, 1861-1981. Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 1982.
• Katz, Irving I., and Dr. Jacob Marcus. The Beth El Story. Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 1955.
• Kraus, Bea. A Time to Remember: A History of the Jewish Community in South Haven. Allegan Forest, MI: The Priscilla Press, 1999.
(Available at First Hebrew Congregation, 263 Broadway, South Haven, MI 49090)
• Michigan History, Journal of the Historical Society of Michigan. 1305 Abbott Rd., Lansing, MI 48823.
• Michigan Jewish History, Annual Journal of the Jewish Historical Society of Michigan. West Bloomfield, MI.
Contact us to find out how you can receive a copy of the current issue. Browse our online archive of past issues.
• Rockaway, Robert. The Jews of Detroit, From the Beginning, 1762-1914. Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 1986.
Links to digitized content provided by our friends at the Center for Jewish History.